Back in the day, people had to keep a key on them every time they wanted to open a lock. But, with the innovation of home automation, we’ve seen quite an advancement towards locks. Countless smart companies have introduced smart locks that give you the enhanced security of a lock, but with additional features.
For instance, you can remotely control each and every lock in your house. Some locks don’t even require a key and come with a keypad instead. You can also use your phone to unlock these locks.
Is There A Way to Unlock a Schlage Lock with Dead Battery and No Key?
Smart locks usually run with batteries that tend to run out after a few years. The problem comes when you have a smart lock that does not feature a key. When such locks run out of battery, what should be done in order to get them back online?
Today, we will be telling you whether you can unlock a Schlage lock with a dead battery and no key. So, if you have found yourself in a similar situation, we suggest you stay with us!
How to Unlock the Schlage Lock Without a Key?
First thing’s first, you might want to get your hands on the lock’s manual. Every lock has its own way of unlocking it. Although the procedure is quite similar, they mostly use different batteries. You may also be able to find the lock’s manual online if you know the exact model.
In either case, try giving the manual a read. In order to unlock the smart lock, you will need two things:
- A DIY Screwdriver
- Premium alkaline or lithium batteries (Depending on the batteries that your lock use)
Now, follow the procedure mentioned below:
- First determine the place where your batteries are in the device. They are most usually found inside the cover of lock.
- Now, you may have to use a screwdriver to open the cover of the lock.
- Take out the dead batteries out of the device.
- Replace them with the new ones that you bought (Should probably be either alkaline or lithium batteries).
- Ensure that you properly insert the batteries and put them in the right direction with the connectors.
- Fix the lock cover in place by using the screwdriver again.
- Test your locking and unlocking feature and check whether it works or not. If it isn’t working, ensure that you have installed the correct batteries and in the right way or not.
- Your lock could now be easily unlocked.
Depending on the model of lock you have, you may also have a manual key override or an emergency lock override. You will have to check your lock’s manual in order to figure out whether your model supports it or not.
The Bottom Line
This article contains details about how you can unlock a Schalge lock with dead battery and no key. It has step-by-step instructions on how you can do so.