One of the most important factors when it comes to moving from traditional home devices to creating a smart home is the added level of security you get.
As long as you have an isolated and high-security home network that connects all your smart devices, a home with smart devices is infinitely more secure than a traditional home.
Apart from being able to stay in touch with your home while you are away thanks to a home automation hub that helps you control your devices remotely,
there are many smart devices created specifically for the use of creating a solid security system for your home.
This includes everything from the classic surveillance cameras that give a live feed of your home to your smartphone to motion sensors,
wireless radios, alarms, sirens for intruders, smart locks, and even smart switches that allow you to operate your home security devices from afar.
Nest Hello is an innovative device from the tech giant Google that helps you see whoever comes near your door even when you are away.
The device is a part of their Google Nest series, a growing collection of smart devices that helps you create a well-connected smart home.
Google promotes it as a device to track all the home deliveries you get when you are away from home. The slogan for the device is “Know who’s knocking.”, which explains its primary purpose—a doorbell with a video.
Perhaps the thing that particularly sets Nest Hello apart from other similar devices is that the video you get from Nest Hello is HD, bright and clear, even at night. With Nest Hello, you can see everything at your doorstep.
It could be something as innocent as a delivery driver or your neighbor coming to drop off some cookies or something as serious as a burglar trying to break into your home.
It streams live to your phone at all times, and you are able to access a 3-hour snapshot if you want to recheck what goes on on your doorstep in the middle of work.
Nest Hello is discreet, effective, and makes a great addition to the security system in your home.
Install NEST Hello Without Existing Doorbell
Can I Install Nest Hello Without an Existing Doorbell?
The answer is YES, you can. The primary installation procedure for Nest Hello requires the regular wiring used for traditional doorbells since their target audience was people with doorbells who wanted to upgrade them to a smarter option.
Most wired doorbells can be easily replaced with a Nest Hello.
If you do not have an existing doorbell, or if your wired doorbell is not compatible with the voltage requirements of the new smart device, Google sells a handy little Indoor Power Adapter which will help you install the device without any issue.
Therefore, if you do not have an existing doorbell, but wish to add a Nest Hello to your home, remember to purchase their Indoor Power Adapter along with it. Both are available at the Google Store.
Moreover, if you need a chiming doorbell that alerts you apart from your Nest app, you may need a Google Assistant-enabled speaker or a Nest Hub.
The Installation Process
Important: Installing your Google Nest Hello without an existing doorbell requires drilling a hole through the exterior wall of your home to run that power cable to an outlet that is inside your home
for further security purposes and also because the adapter that is plugged into the outlet is not weatherproof.
- A power drill
- A 9mm drill bit that can penetrate the exterior wall of your home.
- A Phillips screwdriver
Requirements for Nest app installation:
- A smartphone or tablet
- A steady internet connection with a minimum 2 Mbps upload speed
Nest App Installation:
- Download the Nest app on your mobile device. You need to create a free Google account if you do not already have one.
- Sign in to your account on the Nest app.
- Tap “Add New” on the home screen.
- Scan the QR code in the envelope that came with your Nest Hello box. The QR code is also in the back of your device.
- If you cannot scan, you can type in the characters on the top of the QR code to complete your installation.
- The app will begin the installation process, with directions to securely install and set up your Nest Hello.
How to install Nest Hello:
- You need to turn off the power from the main breaker or fuse box of your home before you start the installation process. Once you turn off the power, always re-check with a porch light or similar to confirm it is fully turned off.
- Make yourself familiar with any in-wall plumbing or electric wiring in the area you are planning to drill and install your Nest Hello.
- A good location to install your Nest Hello is about 4 feet high, next to your door. This will give a person easy access to use the doorbell, and for you to get the best view of your doorstep through the camera.
- Use the wall plate to mark holes, and a level to see if the plate is straight.
- Drill the hole for the power cable first. It should go all the way through the wall.
- Drill pilot holes next, using the 2mm drill bit. There are wall anchors and masonry bit you can use for hard materials included in your set.
- Mount the wall plate using the screws. Make sure it is right-side up.
- Run the power cable through the wall from the inside of your home to the outside.
- Connect the wires to Nest Hello, and mount the device by sliding the top of Nest Hello into the wall plate. You will wear the doorbell click into place if you properly mount it.
- Tuck any excess wire back to the wall if the top of the Nest Hello does not fit well to the wall plate.
- Plug the adapter in and switch the power on.